Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, September 9, 2012

AERIAL ADVENTURE, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE


NESTING THE NURSERY, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE {PHASE III}
 
DIY HOT AIR BALLOON MOBILE
 
{ART & DECOR}
 
We are back to our regularly scheduled program! Now that we are in the month of September, the count down begins. Only 4 weeks left until my little girl is scheduled to arrive. The nursery is almost complete. I wanted to share with you today a DIY Hot Air Balloon Mobile I made! Just a few more items to help accessorize the room and tie everything together, and we will be ready.....well, the nursery will be anyways!
 
 
At first glance, you are probably thinking, awe, those are cute! Wait until you see what materials I used to create them. It takes the cuteness up a level!
 
 
I started out with these items:
 
 
  1. 3) Paper Lantern (Left over decor from my baby shower)
  2. Different Types and Colors of Ribbon and Lace (Craft Store)
  3. Brown Scrapbook Paper (Craft Store)
  4. An Old Drape (Goodwill)
  5. An Old Button-Up Shirt/An Old T-Shirt (Goodwill)
  6. Burlap Scrapbook Paper (Craft Store)
  7. Martha Stewart Bow Stickers (Craft Store)
  8. Bling and Cameo (Craft Store)
  9. 3) Paper Box (Left over decor from my baby shower)
  10. Fabric Glue/Mod Podge/Glue Gun/Scissors (Not Pictured)
I began by covering the 3 boxes with brown scrapbook paper and Mod Podge to mask the color of the boxes. (They were originally white, black and hot pink.) Once those were dry, I used the same template technique from the brown scrapbook paper with the burlap scrapbook paper and covered the brown paper using the burlap and Mod Podge again. I wanted the boxes to have more of a woven basket look! 
(Note: I put a thin coat of Mod Podge on the corners of the burlap to keep it from unraveling.)


After that, I began using my materials from the Goodwill to cover the paper lanterns. I started with the gray T-Shirt material first. The color is a great match for the scheme in the room. I also like how it is somewhat translucent. I simply stretched it over the top of the lantern, cut off the top portion. Adheared it to the top of the paper lantern with fabric glue and gathered the hemed material at the bottom so it gave it more of a "balloon" like appearance.


The fabric was the hardest part. Once that was done, I added my different ribbons and lace to the balloon with my hot glue gun. This glue worked the best as it also stuck to the lantern. I didn't want the fabric to sag once I started adding the embellishments. 


 I attached my bling embellishments to the basket and then attached the basket to the balloon using long strips of ribbon. Make sure to not add to much stuff to the basket. You want to keep it light to keep the paper lantern from ripping.


Here is the first one completed!!



I continued on to the next material, the button-up shirt. This material was a little harder to use. I started by using fabric glue and gluing the button-up area to what was to be the center of my lantern. Once this was in place. I placed  more fabric glue half way around the lantern and then again where I brought the fabric together.


Once the fabric was in place, I cut off the top material and used fabric glue to attach the material to the top inside of the lantern. I then gathered the hemmed fabric at the bottom of the lantern and and began to add my embellishments using my glue gun. 


I added a little extra embellishments to the buttons from the left over brown lace I had.  I attached the cameo to the basket and used pearl beads to attach the basket to the balloon.

 Here is the second one completed!


The third and final balloon seemed to go much faster. I cut the drape in half (it was a very small drape, I can only imagine where it could have hung with its size and color?!?) I layed half the drape over the lantern facing one direction then layed the other half over facing the opposite direction. It is pretty transparent material, so by doing this, I was able to get better coverage. 


I didn't have to glue this material onto the lantern. I was able to poke the top hanger portion through the fabric. I gathered the rest at the bottom and bunched it together using a rubber band and covered the rubber band using ribbon. (This is the same technique I used for all three.) Again, I added my embelishments using hot glue. 
 (Note: The Martha Stewart Bows came with small round foam tape stuck to the back of them. I took off the tape and used hot glue so they would lay flatter)
 
 
I finished the basket off with the embellished jewels I had and attached it to the balloon.
Here is the third and final hot air balloon.


These were all so much fun to make! I love how they are all different but all coordinate with each other. I also loved using the recycled T-Shirt and Drape materials. I didn't need very much fabric to cover these lanterns and this material was the perfect size with out causing too much left over waste. It was also much cheaper and more light weight than traditional fabric would have been.

 Here are all three in all their glory!!


 I actually ended up hanging them on the opposite side of the room from the crib. I know... traditionally a mobile is supposed to hang over the crib, but by hanging them on the opposite side of the room from where the crib is, as well as where my DIY hot air balloon art work is, creates visual balance and helps to tie the theme of the nursery into the entire room!


As my due date approaches, I will be wrapping up this segment with a few more tips and the final reveal of the nursery. Be sure to come back to check it out!


 
 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:
 
* Mad in Crafts *The Dedicated House * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry Hill   *  An Original Belle * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffDestination CraftCraft-O-ManiacThe Girl Creative * Brassy Apple Twigg StudiosBoogie Board CottageSarah Dawn DesignsDebt Free Mommy * Sweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen Lane * Full Circle CreationsThe Ivy Cottage * Home Stories A to Z * Homework  * A Diamond in the Stuff  * Blackberry Vine *I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys KornerAdventures of a DIY Mom  * In The Old RoadUncommon * The Well Crafted HomeDIY by Design *  Natural Nester  *Snap * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish Whims Restore Interiors Live Laugh RoweThe Shabby Creek Cottage * Made in A DaySomeday CraftsOne Creative Mommy * At The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryDesign Dining and Diapers * French Country CottageFunky Junk InteriorsPositively Splendid * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux Interiors * Whipperberry * Tatertots and Jello * Thirty Handmade Days * Craft Junkie Too * The Shabby Nest * Liz MarieBacon Time with the Hungry Hypo
 

  THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED:
 
 
 
 

Full Circle Creations



Photobucket
 
 

31 comments:

Rachelle Smith said...

These are absolutely beautiful & how creative. I love re-purposing items. I found you from the Nifty Fifty link party & I am a new follower.

Rachelle
Simple Stitches by Rachelle
www.stitchesbyrachelle.blogspot.com

Gloria Westerman said...

WOW!!!! These are amazing....and I love them....will have to try and make these for my craft room...awesome....awesome...job....thank you so much for sharing these with us....and also a new follower here....

Bethany Kline said...

wow, I freakin love this idea! this would be awesome for a little girls' room or to go over crib! Fantastic job! I am definitely going to have to do this!

<3 Bethany @ thesepiapuppy.blogspot.com
(would you check out my blog?? it would make my day!)

Shannon said...

These are amazingly creative--how adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Miss Kitty said...

Very clever! I saw your post over at Masterpiece Monday at Boogie Borad Cottage. Congrats on your new baby girl's impending arrival.

http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com/ said...

These are beautiful! Great work. I am a follower of your blog on Facebook and would love if you could hop over to my blog (http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com/) and share the blog love. Have a happy Monday!

Pocketful Of Dreams said...

I have always loved hot air balloons for whatever reason. These are so cute!

http://thepocketfulofdreams.blogspot.com

michele said...

clever and dreamy.

hope you'll stop by soon.

michele

Green Willow Pond said...

Your hot air balloons are beautiful and so unique! I would never thought of paper lanterns. Great job!

The Thrifty Challenge said...

this are so unbelievably beautiful. I love them and they are so creative. I want to make my own now.

suzyq said...

These are just beautiful! What a beautiful unique addition to a nursery!
Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!
Hugs,
Suzan

Judy said...

Seriously this is one of the most creative projects I have ever seen. You are AMAZING. Just gorgeous. I would love for you to come and link up this project to my Fall into Fall party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

Smart School House said...

These are very beautiful! I made a downscaled version awhile back (I don't quite have the zhush factor that you do!). Beautiful project! http://www.smartschoolhouse.com/2012/08/diy-hot-air-balloon.html

Your new fan,
Kelly at Smart! School {House}

Carolyn said...

Fantastic - I absolutely love them. Please consider joining my link party - my readers would love to see your adorable hot air balloons. http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-inspiration-board-link-party-67.html

Sylvia said...

oh my goodness.. this is soooooo uber cute! LOVE it! Thanks for sharing! Had to pin it :) Sylvia xx

Kendra said...

Wow!!!! They look amazing!!! Great job! Your talents never cease to amaze me :)

Vintage Street Designs said...

Seriously...these are AMAZING! So much work but well worth it! :)

Liz said...

Very nice idea!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

You are simply amazing! These balloons rock! And how exciting that the time is getting soooo close.

All the best,
Christina at I Gotta Create!

Crystelle said...

NO WAY!!! a sweater? a shirt? who would have thought.....????
I LOVE 'um
What a wonderful way to up-cycle....
You are one talented lady-person....

shelley said...

You have great attention to detail! beautiful craft :)

Emanuela @ My little inspirations said...

Absolutely amazing!!! I love them!
Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
I'm coming from Craftberry Bush Friday Happy Hour Linky Party.
Have a great weekend!

Emanuela

Jaime Lyn said...

oh my goodness how clever and crafty and just cute cute cute!!! I am SO going to remember this for when I have babies!!! Thank you SO much for linking up via happy hour!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

Hani Shabbir said...

Love it! So creative Jen. :)

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Wow, those are fabulous! I love that you re-used old shirts. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Kathryn Pepper said...

These are so adorable! What a unique mobile! I'm featuring these tonight at the link party. Thanks for linking up!!

Kathryn
destinationcraft.blogspot.com

Melissa L said...

Wow! Super cute!

Visiting from Craft Junkie Too :D

~Melissa
www.mywatermelonmoon.com
Stop by and see me sometime! :D

Natural-Nesters Sisters' said...

um you did amazing on these! I am so jealous! These would be adorable in a baby girl room! I love them!!

We featured you today at the naturally-nifty party!!

http://natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/09/naturally-nifty-party-32.html

Full Circle Creations said...

So adorable! They are one of my picks from All Star Block Party #15. Thanks so much for linking it up. They are wonderful. Great job.

Holly

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

These are so dreamy and you are a STAR at I Gotta Create! I'm featuring you today. Thanks so much for linking up <3

http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/09/creative-projects-with-and-for-kids.html

<3 Christina

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So creative!!!Well done! Thanks for sharing them at Feathered Nest Friday!!