Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, August 13, 2012

WORK OF ART, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE

NESTING THE NURSERY, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE {PHASE III}
 
{ART & DECOR}
 
 
By far, my most favorite part of designing a room would be shopping for the furniture, art and accessories that go into that space! This is when it all starts coming together! These are the items I have bought, accumulated, or made so far; 
 
  • I have purchased the dresser/changing table from a local DIY here in my area! If you don't remember what it looks like you can find it HERE!
  • I am using my son's old glider chair and ottoman
  • A beautiful "Princess" Crib from Buy Buy Baby. A picture of that can be found on my Concept Board for the room located HERE!
  • My Fantastic Fandelier I made can be found HERE
The most recent addition to the room is the custom art work that I made. If you remember back to Phase I of Nesting the Nursery, I selected this wonderful Hot Air Balloon fabric as my theme for the room. I originally intended on using it for window treatments and possibly bedding, but the price tag was too steep. I needed to be creative if I was determined to use this fabric (which I was pretty darned determined)!! I originally found it for $39 a sq. yd. If I was to order the amount of yardage needed for window treatments alone would have cost around $351.00! YIKES! That does not even include the drapery liner I would need nor any other supplies to even make something of it! So I decided to do the next best thing and turn the fabric into a Work of Art!!

Here is how I made the art work for me!
Materials I used: 
  • 2 large canvases. I used 24"x36" pre-wrapped canvases. I found them at Michael's. They were buy one get one free. $25
  • 2yds of my Hot Air Balloon Fabric. I ended up finding it online for around $22 a yard (so I bought some additional yardage).  Cost for this project: $44
  • 2 Copic Sketch Markers in Lipstick Natural (If you haven't used these markers before I suggest you run out and try one. It goes on like paint, but you have much more control. They have a wonderful color palette to choose from!!) They were about $7 each + 50% coupon so I paid about $10.50
  • Staple gun and 1/2" staples (free since I already own this)
  • 8 yards of satin ribbon. $7.12
  • 2 rhinestone buckles $10
Total cost for (2) One of a Kind, Customized Wall Art = $96.62

Design Process
 I began by ironing the fabric to get as many creases out as I could. I did not wash the fabric before hand because I wanted that stiff feeling so it would wrap smoothly around my canvases without too much give. I ironed the front and back of the fabric (mainly because I wasn't sure how the fabric would react to heat, so I started with the back first!)

 
While I love the fabric, it didn't have any pink in it at all. So this is when I decided to use the Copic Sketch Marker to add some pink to the fabric. This marker was wonderful for fabric. It allowed me to make small strokes and did not bleed!
Here you can see the fabric before the pink and after the pink was added! Adding the pink to the fabric really helped pull this material into the rest of the room!!
I added the pink to the same locations on both pieces of fabric. Once that was done. I layed fabric face down and place my canvas over it. I centered the fabric the best I could. I put a couple of staples in the top and flipped it over to make sure the pattern was straight. I made sure to pull the fabric taught all the way around each time I stapled. I started with the top, then the bottom, then the corners, then finished with the sides. Cut off any remaining fabric from the back.


Once that was complete I hung both of my fabric panels on the wall, but to me.....something was missing....... I mean, they looked OK, but didn't give me that happy glowing feeling inside...do you know that feeling??


That's when I decided to add bows to make it look like that is how I hung them. I would give you a tutorial on how I made these bows, but I don't want to embarrass myself. I had no clue what I was doing and there was a lot of hot glue involved.Needless to say I am super happy with how they turned out!


And there you have it, my Custom Works of Art! Don't you think the bow makes the world of difference?




Any one can make these using any type of fabric or material you want. You can even  make a bow using burlap or some other type of material. It was also super fast to make (other than the coloring part) I was able to complete them in a weekend! I hope you go out and make some for your space! 
Don't forget, if you find the perfect fabric and it's missing a color or two, add it yourself with a marker! No one will ever know.....unless you want them to! :)



 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:


* Mad in Crafts *The Dedicated House * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry HillDIY Home Sweet Home  *  An Original BelleDebbie DoosLe Chateau des Fleurs  * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg Studios *  Natasha in Oz  * Boogie Board CottageSarah Dawn DesignsDebt Free Mommy * Sweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen LaneString Town HomeFull Circle CreationsThe Ivy Cottage * Home Stories A to Z  * PJH Designs  *A Diamond in the Stuff  * Blackberry Vine *I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys KornerAdventures of a DIY Mom  * In The Old RoadUncommon * The Well Crafted HomeDIY by Design *  Natural Nester  *Snap * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish Whims Restore Interiors Live Laugh RoweThe Shabby Creek Cottage * Made in A DaySomeday CraftsAt The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryFrench Country CottageFunky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating * Whipperberry * Tatertots and Jello * Thirty Handmade Days * Craft Junkie Too * The Shabby Nest * Liz MarieBacon Time with the Hungry Hypo
 
THIS POST HAS BEEN FEATURED:
 
The Well Crafted Home
Photobucket
Photobucket
 
 


 

11 comments:

Debt Free Mommy said...

It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you're invited! Please come by and link up any post(s) related to making your home a better space. I hope you'll join us for Making Space Mondays. Hope to see you there! -Tabitha

Erika said...

Hi Deb as you say it's a work of art, very beautiful. Thank you for stopping by at my blog and leaving me a nice comment, I could not reply you there, because you appear to me as a non-reply blogger. Thank you again and keep doing worderful work. Erika
www.boulevardelantique.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I love this piece. Its amazing how much adding that little bit of color helped.

If you get a chance I would love for you to come link up your tutorial at my Pin Party.

http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/08/pintastic-monday-link-party-5.html

Full Circle Creations said...

Looks wonderful. I love this fabric. And the pink you added looks great. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

Holly

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Beautiful! The ribbon is definitely a nice touch that adds that extra something.

Makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful! New follower...:-)

Katie Drane said...

I'm so glad that I'm following you! Your entire blog is incredible. Thanks for the inspiration:)

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Jessi Wohlwend said...

Wow, the art looks great! And you're right, that bow totally makes the whole thing! I love that you added pink to the fabric with markers, how smart. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Sonja @ practical-stewardship.com said...

I love the DIY work of art! So cute!! Found you at Tattertots & Jello.

Linda Bouf said...

Thanks for the tutorial on this great idea!! Looks beautiful. Best wishes, Linda

Tauni said...

I love this piece! I think hot air balloons are absolutely lovely...the perfect thing for a nursery.

Thanks so very much for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP!

xoxo