Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 26, 2012

MONOGRAMMED WREATH

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program (NESTING THE NURSERY) to bring you a quick tutorial on making a Monogrammed Wreath. 

With the holidays coming up, This is a great wreath to make that can be added to as the seasons approach. It also makes a great personalized gift! I recently gave this wreath as a gift to my clients who's house I have been working on as a little thank you! They seemed to love it and I hope you will too!!
 
 
You can make this entire custom wreath in just a few hours and for under $50!

I started with these items:
 
 
  1. Command Strip Hook 5lbs. (Found at local hardware store)
  2. Iron Hangar (Craft Store)
  3. Faux greenery (Craft Store/Dollar Store)
  4. Preserved Sheet Moss (Craft Store)
  5. Wreath (Goodwill
  6. Monogrammed Letter (Craft Store)
  7. Spray Adhesive (Craft Store)
  8. Tassels (Craft Store)
  9. Paint (On hand) not pictured
  10. Faux flowers (Dollar store) not pictured
  11. Left over potpourri (Goodwill) not pictured
I started by spraying sections of the wreath with spray adhesive. I then tore apart small parts of the preserved sheet moss and pressed it to the areas that were sprayed, trying to get full coverage of the wreath. I worried more about covering the front and sides of the wreath, not so much about the back of the wreath. (I must warn you it can get quite messy. Use a towel under your project and I always recommend using spray adhesive outside or in a well ventilated area!)


I then took my faux greenery and cut it into individual sections. I began weaving the beginning of the greenery sections at the start and then just wrapped the rest around the wreath. I continued this around the entire wreath until I was satisfied with the coverage. After applying the faux greenery over the moss, you can go back and add more moss to the sections that you missed.
I like using a mixture of both preserved and faux greenery. It gives it a more natural and organic look but allows it to last longer in the outside elements. 


I then painted my monogram. This is the perfect time to use those left over paint samples you have laying around. I used the left over paint samples we had from the interior of the house. This also helps to tie in the wreath with the houses interior color scheme. (Not required, but a nice added touch!) I gave it a couple coats of Mod Podge to seal the paint.


Once that was dry I added it to my wreath using my tassels. Tying it securely to make sure it won't fall off. I added the faux flowers and pulled out some sculptural pieces from the potpourri and added them to the bottom of the wreath for added interest and color. 


That is all there is to it. My clients security door does not have a built in hook for wreaths and it is too tall to use an over the door hangar. Using the 5lb command hook strip allowed me to place the iron hanger and wreath on their metal security door without causing any damage.


And there you have it. A simple, beautiful, personalized wreath. You can add to it for the holidays or just let it shine all on its own.



 
 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:
 
* Mad in Crafts *The Dedicated House * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T.Alderberry Hill   *  An Original Belle * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg StudiosBoogie Board CottageSarah Dawn DesignsDebt Free Mommy * Sweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen LaneString Town HomeFull Circle CreationsThe Ivy Cottage * Home Stories A to Z  * PJH Designs  *A Diamond in the Stuff  * Blackberry Vine *I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys KornerAdventures of a DIY Mom  * In The Old RoadUncommon * The Well Crafted HomeDIY by Design *  Natural Nester  *Snap * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish Whims Restore Interiors Live Laugh RoweThe Shabby Creek Cottage * Made in A DaySomeday CraftsOne Creative Mommy * At The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryFrench Country CottageFunky Junk Interiors * Its Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux Interiors * Whipperberry * Tatertots and Jello * Thirty Handmade Days * Craft Junkie Too * The Shabby Nest * Liz MarieBacon Time with the Hungry Hypo
 
 
THIS POST AS BEEN FEATURED AT:
 
Photobucket
Made in a Day
It's Overflowing
 

24 comments:

Judy said...

The wreath is so pretty and unique! Thanks for sharing it and the step by step tutorial!

Gloria Westerman said...

This wreath is so pretty....I love it...saw this over on Under the Table and Dreaming....Awesome job....

Crystelle said...

It's very pretty, very classy!
Nice work!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

This is so pretty! I just saw your post at debt-free mommy. I am a happy new follower; and I hope you will follow me, too!

Leslie Harris said...

I really like this! Very classic looking with a touch of sass. Thanks for sharing such good photos, you make it easy to follow.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss blog)

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

Beautiful! I love how the feathery greens frame everything. Love it!

~Angela~

Brooke @ Design Stash said...

Wow! What a gorgeous wreath! I especially love the wreath hanger and the greenery you used :) Thanks so much for visiting my blog and the nice comments!
Hugs,
Brooke @ Design Stash

Amy - while wearing heels said...

From the description of your wreath, I am dying to see it. I tried to load your pictures 3 times and they still won't come up. Your description brought it to life, I'll try and catch a glimpse of it later. Sounds really lovely.

Amy - while wearing heels said...

Came back again and the pictures are back!!! What a lovely wreath. I love all the greens and the D. It looks really high end. Beautiful.

Full Circle Creations said...

Your wreath looks wonderful. Great job. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

Holly

Lauren @ The Well Crafted Home said...

This is SO cool! And totally beautiful! I would love it if you linked this up at my link party! You can find it here:

http://thewellcraftedhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/well-crafted-wednesdays-18-link-party.html

Lauren @ The Well Crafted Home said...

Thanks for linking up!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

That is a really pretty wreath! Love the way you painted the letter to match your house colors too! Nice job and nice tutorial!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

That wreath looks fabulous! And I love the paint on the letter. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Holly Lefevre said...

So pretty. I love the wispy greenery!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful wreath! So unique too! Megan

DIY Show Off said...

It's beautiful, Jen! I'd like to place an order! haha! Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity. :)

Have a great weekend!

Holly said...

Such a cute wreath!

Honey at 2805 said...

Very pretty!

Creative M said...

Very beautiful!!

Heidi Fowler said...

This is my first time visiting your great site. This is a beautiful wreath. Thanks so much for linking up at One Creative Weekend! (I liked you on facebook.)

The Lovely Mrs. P said...

Stopping by to let you know I will be featuring your wreath tomorrow~ Thanks for linking up!
Kim~madeinaday

Angie Granata said...

This wreath is soooo nice. Love the initial and tassel.

Sandy Ang said...

this looks so fantastic