Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 5, 2012

CONCEPTUAL CONCEPT, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE

NESTING THE NURSERY, POUR UNE PETITE FILLE (PHASE II continued)
{CONCEPT & LAYOUT}

CONCEPTUAL CONCEPT 

Looks like I may have put my "Cart Before the Horse." After reviewing my past post on Nesting the Nursery, I notice I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself. Last week I gave you tips on how to accessorize the room and showed you a DIY project I was working on with my Fantastic Fandelier. I was so excited about that project that I may have jumped ahead a little bit. For those of you who are following this blog and using these steps to help you transform your Nursery or space in your home, I want to give you the proper steps to follow in order to achieve the look you want! 

With that being said....first things first, or third thing second....anywhoo.
 
THE CONCEPT BOARD:
 
Once you have followed the steps in Nesting the Nursery, Pour Une Petite Fille (phase I); achieving your paint colors for the room and an overall theme, the next item of business is creating a concept board to help you carry out that vision! There is a great site out there that helps you create an online concept board. I am sure some of you have noticed fellow bloggers and designers using it. Well today I am going to share that secret with you. (I am either going to make friends, or lose them here!) It is called Olioboard! Olioboard allows you to create online customized concept boards for your spaces!! I used their site to help me create my custom concept board for my nursery. (Back in the day, these items were cut out by hand and glued to an actual board! Ha Ha, have to keep up with the times if you want to stay relevant!!)
This site allows you to choose decor and furniture items from thousands of different options. It also allows you to use items that you already own as well to help create your space. You can see above I incorporated the chest of drawers I already own as well as my inspirational fabric and the color that we already selected from Phase 1 of our design process! 
By creating a concept board, your vision comes to life! You are able to see what pieces work together and what pieces do not. This concept board  will help you to stay on track when selecting and buying items for your room! Since it is online, you can save it, print it, and carry it with you along with your fabric swatches!
 
THE LAYOUT:

Before you purchase any large items of furniture. It is best to know if and how they are going to fit in your room. First start with a list of the big items you know you will need. For example: I know I need a crib, a dress/changing table, a rocking chair, an ottoman, and a side table. These are my main pieces for the room. 
 
You will want to start by measuring the length and width of the room. Also note the sizes for the pieces of furniture you want to fit into the room. If you are not sure what pieces you want to put in there right away, carry a note card with your room dimensions on it so that you will be able to make a purchase without hesitation and feel confident knowing it will fit.
 
 
 
 (NOTE: Always be cautious of how you will get your large furniture pieces in your home. Will it fit through the door? Do I have to maneuver any corners? Is the room on the second floor? Can I disassemble the piece to get it up the stairs?)
 
 
 There are a few different ways you can play around with the floor plan/layout once you know the sizes of the pieces you want to buy. 
  • You can use graph paper to draw out the dimensions (to scale) of your room. Be sure to note where doors, closets and window are. For example: One square on the graph can equal 1/2" or even a foot. Draw your furniture out the same way. Cut them out and move them around in your drawing to what ever layout you feel works best for you.  
  • Another option is to cut our templates using cardboard or butcher paper to the exact size of your furniture and place them around your room.
  • There are quite a few free virtual programs online you can use as well. Freshome Design and Architecture has a list of the top 10 Best free online virtual room programs and tools!
  • If you are lucky enough to own a professional program for drafting (as I do), you can use this program to space plan your lay out as well. This is the option I choose to fit my items in my space properly! 

Now that you have your concept in hand and your room all layed out, the fun begins! You are now free to go shopping! Ahhhh, my favorite part. Shopping for furniture, accessories, art and decor! 


Next time I will show you some great ways to add custom art pieces to your space!!

HAPPY SHOPPING!!

 
 THIS POST HAS BEEN LINKED TO:


* Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet StuffAlderberry HillAn Original Belle * Le Chateau des Fleurs *Destination: Craft * I should be mopping the floor * Nifty Thrifty Things * It's So Very Cheri Under The Table and DreamingThe DIY ShowoffBrassy Apple Twigg StudiosNatasha in OzSweet Anne Designs * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Kampen Lane * Home Stories A to Z  * PJH Designs  * Blackberry Vine *I Gotta Create * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Kammys KornerAdventures of a DIY Mom  * In The Old RoadUncommon * The Well Crafted HomeDIY by Design *  Natural Nester  *Snap * Lil Luna  * Practically Functional * My Girlish Whims Restore Interiors Live Laugh RoweThe Shabby Creek Cottage * Made in A DaySomeday CraftsAt The Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring * CraftionaryFrench Country CottageIts Overflowing 504 Main * Redoux InteriorsAddicted 2 Decorating * Whipperberry * Tatertots and Jello * Thirty Handmade Days * Craft Junkie Too * The Shabby Nest * Liz MarieBacon Time with the Hungry Hypo
Tip Junkie handmade projects
 
 
 


 
 
 

8 comments:

Isabelle Thornton said...

This is fabulous! Thanks for all the steps and tips. Thanks for linking to the French party on Monday. I shared also on Google+.
Xo

Cocalores said...

I love these ideas! Is that the rug that you asked me about on my blog? If you want to stencil a thicker carpet, you will need a lot of fabric paint because it soaks up a lot. And choosing an elaborate stencil might be tricky (I'm afraid it might blurr). I think it all depends on the kind of fibers of the carpet! =) xo Anja

PS You seem to be a noreply-blogger, that's why I left my answer as a comment here!

Jessi Wohlwend said...

Awesome tips, thanks! I love planning out rooms on graph paper with little cutout paper couches and dressers etc. I had so much fun the last two times we moved to a new apartment :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

monsterscircus said...

Hi Jen!
Beautiful and very useful blog you have! So great ideas, and you have a great way to explain and guide, I'm really a fan, now I have discovered your interior Universe :-)

Heather Graham said...

Such great info & wonderful design board! Found you at French Country Cottage's linky party & excited to be following you, now... Hope you can visit soon.

-Heather
stringtownhome.blogspot.com

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

This is so great! Fantastic tips as well. Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Bacon Time. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-9.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I will have to keep these resources in mind.
Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

Tauni said...

What great ideas! Thanks so very much for sharing!

xoxo, Tauni